For centuries, “plague crosses” have been worn on one’s person, hung above doors and on walls, and erected in front of churches. Used in times of pestilence for protection and healing, they were inscribed on medals and parchments, into wood and monuments.
This present cross originated with St. Zacharias, Bishop of Jerusalem in the seventh century. In care and love for his people afflicted with plague, he composed a cross with acrostic prayers and blessings.
It is a pious tradition that during the Council of Trent in 1546, when a deadly plague was then raging in the area – the Council Fathers devoutly wore this cross, to great effect.
Booklet has Imprimatur by Most Rev. John F. Doerfler, Bishop of Marquette.
SPREAD THE WORD